Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Christmas Cookies


            My daughter Faith was born twelve weeks premature, on a snowy day in November.  While Faith was in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit, my Aunt came to visit.  She produced a plate of Christmas cookies and sheepishly said, “I didn’t think you’d have time to make them this year.”

            It was a wonderful gift.  She was right.  Between visits back and forth to the hospital and my older daughter’s basketball games, Christmas cookies were far down on the list.  I come from a family that bakes cookies from Thanksgiving weekend to Christmas day.  After Midnight Mass on Christmas Eve, there was always a plate of cookies waiting for us at home.  A year without Christmas cookies was almost like having no Christmas at all.

            With all of the Christmas cookies that we bake, there are always extras.  I wonder. Who could use some Christmas cheer this year?  Shut-ins?  People who have family in the hospital and cookies are the last things on their mind?  How about the homeless?  Could cookies give them a small taste of home and bring a little Christmas into their lives? 

            Please let me know if you bring your cookies to someone for some holiday cheer.  I’d love to hear the story.  As usual, I can be reached at sowaseednow@gmail.com.  Have a Merry Christmas. 

No comments:

Post a Comment