Monday, February 11, 2013

All You Have to Do is Ask


                My daughter was thrilled when we told her Saturday morning that she was fever free for twenty four hours, which meant that we could visit her grandpa.  She had a great time handing flowers and valentines out to the residents of his assisted living home.  I don’t know who had more fun, her or the residents. 

While I was sitting with my father-in-law, I noticed one of the residents reaching out to a table.  I wasn’t sure what she was reaching for, but a care giver noticed and asked her if she wanted Max.  The resident nodded and her face lit up as the care giver handed her the stuffed animal that sat on the table.  It was a cute dog and I watched her hug it lovingly.  I was touched by the sight so much that I asked my husband if he thought they would take some of the stuffed animals that were threatening to take over our daughter’s room.  He replied, “All we can do is ask.” Then he promptly walked over to the office to ask the head nurse.  She was thrilled at the prospect as she told my husband that they give out stuffed animals as prizes for the residents.

Many times in life we have great ideas that die because we’re too afraid to ask.  I have to say that I’m not immune to that fear.  If you noticed, my husband was the one that asked the nurse.  Every time I bring baked goods to the day center for the homeless, I fear I will be turned away, but every time, I am welcomed.  The point is, don’t be afraid to ask.  Most people will be delighted that you cared enough to offer help of some kind. 

No comments:

Post a Comment