Friday, November 8, 2013

Weddings and Funerals

                I was browsing Facebook this morning and a friend had posted a photo that said, “You don’t need a reason to help people.”  It was from a liberal posting.  Full disclosure…I’m a registered Republican that believes in helping people.  I just like to do it on my terms.  Anyway, I agree with the photo.  You don’t need a reason.  You should help people because you have that undeniable urge to.  When someone drops something, you automatically stop and pick it up for them.  It’s what we humans do.  So, why are there movements to help people?  Why do I write this post?  Two words.  “Weddings” and “Funerals.”  What?
                If you’re from a family like mine, life gets in the way and the only time you really see those in your extended family, is at weddings and funerals.  You mean to call them, but you just haven’t gotten around to it.  Sound familiar? 
                We all want to do good, but life gets so busy, we forget about our fellow man until the bell ringers stand at the door in front of the store as we hurriedly run in looking for the latest gizmo to buy our nephews and/or nieces.  I’m not judging.  It is what it is.  I get busy too.  I’ve been “too busy” to write in this blog. 

                So, for my first bit of advice, in preparation of Giving Tuesday, I say take a deep breath, be still and listen.  Listen to what your friends are saying.  Listen to what the world is saying.  You’d be surprised at what ideas pop into your head.  

No comments:

Post a Comment