Wednesday, February 20, 2013

All You Really Need is Love


                I love to read.  In fact, when I was in high school, I got in trouble for reading too much.  My math teacher told my parents that if I didn’t rush through my quizzes just so I could read, I would do much better in her class.  So, I was banned from reading in school with the exception of study hall and lunch. 

                Since I challenged you to think about things to do that are linked to love and the heart, I thought I would open a discussion about putting our loves to good use.  With reading in mind, there are many children out there without books.  Organizations like Bernie’s Book Bank try to bring books to these children.  Recently, while sending a package via UPS, I learned that Toys for Tots isn’t just about toys anymore.  They also have a literacy program, putting books in the hands of children who wouldn’t normally have them due to their family’s economic status.  While I was buying books for my daughter through Scholastic Books, I found out that a dollar donation allows a child stricken by poverty to enjoy a free book.  That’s just three things off the top of my head that deal with one of my greatest loves.

                What do you love to do?  Can you use that love for the common good?  Can you share that love with others?  When you think about it, to help others all you really need is love.

No comments:

Post a Comment